Sunday, September 9, 2007

Record Review 14 Spoon: "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"

Spoon
GaGaGaGaGa
Merge Records 2007






Spoon is an intriguing band in a lot of respects. Classic indie rockers out of Austin who wowed the critics with their 2002 release “Kill The Moonlight” with grabby summer anthems “Small Stakes” and “The Way We Get By.” The followed it up with “Gimme Fiction” which took it in a harder long where they tried somewhat unsuccessfully to craft a straight ahead rocker. With Ga... they are on firmer ground and returning to their artsy, tuneful roots but with some more maturity. They continue working on the hippest indie label Merge.(www.mergerecords.com). This is a great album.

Britt Daniel is still driving the band and is in his best form on this CD which might be their best effort yet. He knows his way around a hook and the band is good enough to more then stay with him. It is crisp and has 10 songs that clock in at 37 minutes and it hearkens back to the good old days of 3 minute, radio ready pop tunes.
“Black Like Me” leads off and is as strong as anything out there. the whole CD evokes quality Squeeze tunes but in a lot of ways is so much better because...well I don’t know why but probably because of recording improvements it just sounds so crisp and sharp...and his lyrics...and the tunes hold up to crisp and sharp.

“I'm in need of someone to take care of me tonight
As I walk into Dorian's, can you see it in my eyes?
My boots are on the mend and they ain't walking home
Street tar in summer'll do a job on your soul
Jenny's watching cover shot, my head's feeling light
I'm in need of someone to take care of me tonight
Anyhow, anyway, so I split
Like just getting out of there is gonna get me outta this
I spent the night in the map room
I humanize the vacuum
I'm in need of someone to take care of me tonight
As I'm lookin' out at you, can you see that in my eyes
On the mend, now they could lead me home
Street tar in summer will play a trick on your soul
Jenny's gone day and night
Ah, It made me feel so light
Just someone to take care tonight
Jenny's watching day and night
My head's still feeling light
Someone to take care tonight
All the weird kids up front, tell me what you know you want
Someone to take care tonight”
Nice imagery and what a great last line finally looking to the weird kids up front at a show for final redemption..





“Finer Feelings” has an “Afghan Whigs” feel to it and rocks along nicely. “My Japanese Cigarette Case” might as well be a Squeeze song with winsome harmonies and hooky guitars and lyrics and the next song “The Underdog” and even the next one continue in precisely the same pleasing vein. The next song “Rhythm and Soul” feels like newer Decembrists and is so listen-able as to be a little painful. “Don’t You Evah” returns successfully to the bands more signature sound which relies on Daniels voice and clever wordplay and “You’ve Got That Cherry Bomb” introduces some big horns and kind of reminds me of early graham Parker and nice swinging British sound. “The Ghost of You Lingers” is a promising song title but unfortunately is likely the only real failure on the album with an annoying piano duh duh duh duh duh duh...that so distracts overs Daniel’s voice that you really cannot care what he is singing about. The CD finishes with “Don’t Make Me A Target” which is just a great little pop, paranoid, why is everone messing with me song. And it is song with enough passion and anger to make it work. If you buy it on iTunes there is a bonus track “Deep Clean” which is stripped down and a little whiny and... you don’t need it.

The CD is a very solid effort. I always wonder how an “Austin” band gets such a brit rock sound and i think you either credit or fault that to Daniels singing style but it is, for the most part, delightful. As I said earlier one of the CD’s primary charms is the short, sharp length of the songs. As one who has tired of jam bands and 4 minute “solos” you have to admire the attempt at Beatles-esque concise writing and playing. Punch it out and let me tap my feet and smile.

No comments: