Thursday, January 10, 2008

Keeping Score: New Years Revolutions

In the meantime in the spirit of asinine New years life plans this is what I am doing. Keeping Score. I have developed a very sophisticated regime of ten items. 5 positive (each scored as a plus 1 and 5 negative, each scored as a minus 1. I only do it during the week because living your life with discipline on the weekend is wrong, stinks of communism and if we do that the terrorists win. Here is my scoring system without being too specific:
1. Vice One (-1)
2. Vice Two (-1)
3. Vice Three (-1)
4. Vice Four (-1) Video Games and Wasting time on internet
5. Vice Five (-1) Drinking
6. Sensible Eating (+1) This merely means not being a gross pig.
7. Morning Devotional (+1) Takes 7 minutes or less
8. Exercise (+1) Even a little.
9. Productive at work,billing 6 hours or more (+1) This is hard.
10. Advancing Future career Goals/Taking special care of wife/family (+1) This can be almost anything that is not totally self involved when at home.

Without being more specific about my vices (and seriously you do not want to know) a few of them involve wasting time on computer games and beer drinking. The rest... are best not discussed where children might read. As you can see the thresholds are pretty low.

Perfect score each week is 25. Perfect score each day is 5. The goal is for me to score 15 each week... meaning hitting 4 of the positives each day and only giving into one described vice. I am 4 days into it and have scored 4-3-3-2 for the week. No negative numbers.

Lets make book on what I score from January 7 to the end of the month or at least for three full business weeks. I am betting that with a goal of a 45 point total I end up at 15 for a three week period. Still...I could end up in negative numbers.
The template of course could be expanded. You need to add a vice for each virtuous thing you might do. Sure it seems legalistic... and perhaps it seems a little stupid but we ( you and I) should never lose sight of the fact that we are stupid... little...insignificant people... thrashing around the best way we can figure out how to.... doing a lot of damage as we attempt to do none...yet still loved by God. So why not try and keep track and hold ourselves to some kind of arbitrary standard. Slight and incremental improvement is still... after all.. improvement. Right?

Thoughts?

No comments: