Saturday, May 10, 2008

Diner Review: Scott and Beverly's Other Place

Diner Review
Scott and Beverly’s Some Other Place
1500 Lemay Ferry
St. Louis, Missouri
314-544-8180

"All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast
All I wanna eat is them BBQ chips
All I want is someone just to try to protect us
You can try but you'd never wanna try to defend us"
-The Replacements

Sooooo...what do you do about the bar that serves breakfast? I have one word. Celebrate. There is something about diner culture and alcohol that go together. I would guess it is likely the hangover that links the two but that is just my theory and, God forbid, I could be wrong, though in this case it seems unlikely.

I do not know where or even if Scott and Beverly have a place that is not “some other place”. I am sure there is a history here which I will likely have to take Pagano out with me to get the full story. I am sure it is in line with the great stories surrounding such venerable south city locations as “Skips”, “Skips Too” and “Skips Other Place” but i do not know.

SOP as it likes to be known on the door is a bar. It has a horrible little parking lot that makes you circle it and see all the bonafides of a good bar including a lot of trucks in the parking lot and a bar b q grill for outdoor grilling. There are grease stains on the outdoor back wall from greasy smoke pouring out of the vents. A very good sign. Upon entering it is dim with tables. On this Saturday morning there were several men at the bar drinking bloody mary’s which seemed very civilized for 7 on a Saturday.

The menu has all the basic stock along with their own version of the slinger which does not seem to include beans, I got a sausage sandwich that was excellent with the sausage having a slight spice to it which was very good. The hashbrowns, let me praise their hash browns. They were excellent (I laughed, I cried). Crispy fried into a patty with no discernible shape. Hot and slightly greasy when the crust was broke and perfect to mix up with anything else on your plate. I looked at the other patrons breakfasts and they all looked very good. It was kentucky Derby Day and so I celebrated at 6:45 with a Busch beer (very cold) which was a nice compliment for the grease. Busch Beer, it coats as it soothes.

The bartenders also served as the waitress. he was pleasant but would have been clearly overmanned if there was anyone else eating (other then the men drinking bloody mary’s at the bar). The iced tea was more then acceptable and on the whole I would call it an excellent experience.

They had a juke box, pull tabs and ATM and assorted bar games including mega touch. There is something about a place that serves breakfast that is just... a bar. I know Bukowski was not a big fan of breakfast but it begs for the guy who passes out for four hours and then walks up to the local bar to get breakfast, a beer, and start all over again. Kind of brings a tear to my eye. The location in deeeeeeep south county is also attractive as it allows the possibility of heading down to Broadway and doing a diner progressive dinner into the city. Perhaps this should become a group event.

8.5 Slingers On the Ten Scale

No comments: