Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Errata

Soooooooo.... where art thou diner review? This has been a long layoff and though i have several reviews cooking life has been too busy with work, getting kids off to college and high school and staying married. It has been a little too much for daddy to stay on top of the Diner Review. this is really just meant as a placeholder so that you know i still care. We are going to have upcoming reviews of:
Michael Chabon: the “Yiddish Policeman’s Union”
Louis Begley: “Matters Of Honor”
Pams Chicago Hot Dog Diner near the Pageant
Conor Oberst’s New CD
It should all be a hoot. But on to errata.
****
The Olympics! I find it difficult to care. I remember in 1972 caring deeply but i do not remember what about. I have a vague memory of the mexico Olympics and the black power salute. My parents thought it inappropriate. But these Olympics? I guess this swimmer guy is pretty good but 8 Gold medals? A little showy. that is what I think. Lots of stupid sports. Beach Volleyball? Are they serious? It was very cool seeing that Jamaican guy blow out the 100 meters. Gymnastics? Not for me. I don’t know. Like I said, difficult to care. bring on fantasy football.
*****
The Russians! How about these guys? I thought we had a tough administration and now I find out the Russians are in Georgia? Shouldn’t Bush be more upset about that. I mean Jimmy carter was not much of a President but do we really want foreign countries taking over their states. I mean Atlanta is probably no great loss at this point, though we will miss Coca Cola. On the other hand if the Russians have to fly in and out of heartsfield they will give the State back to us and probably pay us to take it off their hands. The Athens music scene has not been much for years. Macon is a truly horrible place. I guess we really do not care about them taking over Georgia. I guess they could use it as a base of operations to launch operations in Birmingham. That would be a tragedy as the Russians might then go to Talladega and become NASCAR fans. It would serve them right.
*****
The Veep-stakes. Once again.... I would like to care but the media has sucked the wind out of the whole thing for me. relentless speculation based on almost no information. And who really cares? Unless you are going to chose a nice old man who worked for your dad and represented experience and America like that nice Dick Cheney (jeeeeez) then who cares? I want Obama to pick Webb. he is only guy who is young, crazy and has military experience. Mc Cain? Who cares? He needs a youngster from the midwest. If matt Blunt didn’t have some evil email baggage he would be a front runner. he would be perfect. Unknown, pretty, short, Bush lover with a wife that dresses like a human mushroom. Still the Democratic convention should be interesting.
*****
Hillary and Bill speaking at the convention. HUGE mistake. I love Bill. great President. made a lot of people a lot of money but.... damn they are like zombies that will not die. Their militant constituency will just use this as an excuse to wallow and be bitter and you know they are combing the rules and likely twisting arms to see if there is ANY way they can get rid of this upstart.
*****
Gas prices are heading south but only for a while. The economy remains in the shitter and I do not understand what pulls us out. We would have been here a few years ago but for the housing bubble and the war industry.
*****
The Surge: Mc cain says it worked. Perhaps he is right but only if you take the baseline being that we had a reason to be there to start with. While the surge is buying time for our Iraqi friends to “stand up” I wonder what the time is really buying. In the meantime we continue to serve the jihad’s interest by stretching our military to the breaking point and our budgets past the breaking point. Though I am reasonably certain that our Chinese bankers have our best interests at heart.
****
OK. back soon. Keep the faith.

No comments: