Friday, October 3, 2008

25th Anniversary Trip

D-Day...Stage 2









As you all might or might not know Obama has sent me to Europe to lay
the groundwork with the heads of State and the Papacy to bring back the
title of Holy Roman Emperor, which he will assume after his elected in
November, It is... quite and honor and as you might guess I am kind of a
really big deal.

We flew out of St. Louis at 5:00 on Saturday, hit Chicago for a short
layover and then flew all night arriving in at 9:10. Although my wife
slept, rather then talk to me I stayed awake all night watching "The
Incredible Hulk" and "Baby Mama" and literally feeling my waning
intelligence ebb yet again.

We took a train to the Kings Cross Station where we ran into our son Jon
who was just going to kill 4 hours in Piccadilly till he was supposed to
meet us.  This was the cause of much celebration as "running into"
someone you know in London is highly unlikely and the Kings Cross Train
Station has slightly more people who are passing through there at any
one time then the State of Alaska (sorry Sarah).

We had a shitty lunch at The Black Bear in Leicester.  I at least ate
bad Fish and Chips but Jon was stupid enough to order the Sunday Roast
Dinner which was a smallish (thankfully) piece of "top round", about 6
new potatoes, some bad vegetables and some bread curling all around it.
What the meat lacked in flavor it more then made up for in toughness.
The fish was just not that good but it was not toxic.  I did think that
someone had puked on my plate but before I sent it back my wife told me
that the pukishly green stuff were "smashed peas".

It makes it very, very easy to understand why every quality person has
left this somewhat god Forsaken country.  I was totally exhausted and so
Sandy decided we should do a blitzkrieg of London "since we are only
here for a day".  That meant that we saw, Trafalgar Square 10 Downing
Street Changing of the Horse Guard Westminster Abbey Buckingham Palace
The Tower Bridge And about 8 other places.  We saw them all through the
auspices of the "underground" but still managed to walk about 10 miles.
We then when back to King's Cross Station and took the hour long train
to Cambridge.  Jon is living in a house with 6 girls and two boys and it
looks... like he has fallen into something good again. When he found us
he was just coming back from a weekend in Ireland... not that I am
bitter.

I think the plan is to see how long I can go without sleep.  I think my
wife's ancestors did a similar "interesting" experiment with the Jews.

Pray for me

No comments: