Sunday, November 9, 2008

Diner review: best of 2008 In Preocess

















The Diner review is seeking the help of loyal readers. each year I put together a best of the diner review mix. It strikes me that putting it out in December is too late. It also strikes me that there must of have been some brilliant things out this year that i have not heard. Therefore I am publishing this mix early and accepting contributions and suggestions to modify and augment. These are not sequenced at this point so... forgive me.

Song Artist

Mansford Roof : Vampire Weekend

New York: Cat Power

Angel: The Wood Brothers

Lovecraft In Brooklyn: The Mountain Goats

“Woke up afraid of my own shadow Like, Genuinely afraid Headed for the pawnshop To buy myself a switchblade Someday somethings coming From way out beyond the stars To kill us while we stand here It will store our brains in mason jarsAnd then the girl behind the counter asks "How do you feel today?" and I say "I feel like Lovecraft in Brooklyn!"

Sausalito: Conor Oberst

Sick of Love: Takeover UK

Lost Coastlines : Okkervil River

Big Easy: Rafael Saadiq

Bitch Went Nuts : Ben Folds

Falling Down Again Buick MacKane

Paint the Rust: The Dodos

Few Words in Defense... Randy Newman

You know it kind of pisses me off. That this Supreme Court is going to outlive me. A couple of young Italian fellas and a brother on the Court now, too. But I defy you, anywhere in the world, To find me two Italians as tightassed as the two Italians we got And as for the brother, well Pluto's not a planet anymore either

Handelbars: Flobots

Souled Out: Conor Oberst

Whiskey In My Whiskey: The Felice Brothers

“I put some Whiskey, in my whiskey
I put some heartache, into my heart.
I put my boots, on the old dance floor.
I put three rounds Lord, in my 44.”

Beaumont: Haes Carll

Down Together: Colin Meloy

Emma: Emmanuel Jai

Cowboys: Counting Crows
***
Out of sadness and hopelessness I am also putting this out on Facebook. That is pathetic even for me. For God’s sake....HELP ME. Help me help you. Help America! Do not be a hater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nominate Guarantees by Atmosphere,

listen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLxuyV9qz8

Anonymous said...

I saw the very first song by Vampire weekend and I was sold.

Probably one of my all time favorites, and I thank whichever Becker it was for helping me find this beatiful album; can't recall if it was you or the boy.