Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Rooster: The Diner Review...Review

Sooooo... The Rooster. THIS IS NOT A DINER!

It has been open for over a year... maybe two and I have avoided it like.... well no offense but like cancer. It looked cool sitting there on Locust... it is the "re-emerging" area of downtown. If you believe that I have several hundred lofts I would like to sell you. Anyway I have avoided it because of the dreaded word...."creperie". Rhymes with drapery. Who thinks that these are good idea? Thin, egg pancake like things normally filled with fruit or cheese or something. Hate them.

But I love St. Louis and I love breakfast and I work downtown and well.... a guy has got to eat...right? The place is cool. It is all brick walls and cool art, lots of roosters, a mural... it is nice.If I could decorate a restaurant I would do it a lot like this. I hoit it one morning with my venerable dining companion Sal. Sal has the good sense to eat breakfast and we discuss the economy, people, God, current events, the law and anything else that comes up. This is normally over biscuits and gravy and sausage and other manly food, which he will liberally bathe in hot sauce.

But the Rooster... the Rooster is not a diner. It is a Creperie but they have enough things for the rest us..."people" to eat. They have "savory" crepes Mo. Made german Sausage, Marinated Chicken and Bree) and "sweet" crepes (S'more, Roasted Apple and Pumpkin Mousse). About 14 of each and they sounded pretty tasty. The rest of the menu includes things like "The Rooster Slinger with andoullie sausage, breakfast potatoes, fried eggs, sausage and gravy...good stuff. It is a pretty decent menu and I had some sausage and potatoes and toast and it was good. Sal had an excellent Crepe and bullied me into tasting his crepe. Verdict...good. They still have "breakfast potatoes" instead of hash browns but they do have brewed iced tea which makes it better.

The service was a little indifferent but we were there on a weekday. They were polite but we got there at opening time (7:00) and they were opening up, brewing coffee and the like. It is clearly a place for weekends.... even more odious it might be excellent for..."brunch". If I were staying downtown with my wife I would definitely crawl in there hung over. I believe they probably do a nice business on Saturday and Sunday. It is a cool little place and my guess is they would make a mean bloody mary. I would definitely recommend it for a nice breakfast or brunch but don't ever, ever think of it as a diner.



http://roosterstl.com/

1 comment:

POD said...

It certainly is no diner but is excellent for A.M. food, or even lunch. Their slinger does not work, but the gravy is tasty.

As an aside, their is a certain Limbaugh-like invective common in the suburbs that for odd reason, seems to WANT the loft district and downtown living to fail. This is a more concentrated hatred than that typically found in the post-discharge's comment wars seen online.

At the core, suburbanites hate the idea of city living. The city living folks sneer at their ex-urban counterparts. County hates City because its existence suggests they are missing something in the life experience (which they are). City hates County for the undeniable truth that they have accessible public schools, and the fact they suck. THis is not scientific but would appreciate a Diner review on this topic.