Monday, November 9, 2009

In Praise Of Breakfast, Diners, and My Son

It strikes me that once again I need to rally for the cause of breakfast. I have always thought it was the most important meal of the day but according to one James Carmody it is “the least important meal of the day”. All of the evidence is strongly in my favor.

http://www.amerymedicalcenter.org/amery2.nsf/View/breakfast

So the research and the facts back me up but I have noticed in all me reading that no one really envisions the type of breakfast I enjoy which is sausage, toast, iced tea, hash browns... oh yes, hash browns. Sometimes some sausage gravy. Sometimes a lot of sausage gravy. Sometimes some bacon, in addition to the sausage... on the side. Tiemann tells me it is a death wish but I like to think of it as a death crusade. That seems more noble.

There was a sweet article this last month by Pat Eby in Sauce Magazine.

http://www.saucemagazine.com/section/19

It is excellent and instead of focusing on the diet aspects she compares and contrasts the diner with the ubiquitous and frankly hated “coffe house”. Sure if you need a scone and a skinny lahte I guess it is OK, especially if you need Internet access. But if you are looking for a little solitude and some time with the depressing little rag that has become The St. Louis Post Dispatch you need a diner. She mentions something I had never noticed about that fabulous picture... “no entrance, no exit, no food on the counter”. Perfect. Give that article a read.

St. Louis really does not have any of the classic rail car diners that the east coast is blessed with. They are aging and decrepit but authentic never the less. The St. Louis classic diners at this point are The Eat Rite on Chouteau and the original Courtesy on Kingshighway. They are great. Classic even but I sometime would like one of my rich friends to have a classic rail car diner moved here. Is that too much to ask?

I guess what I am trying to say is... do the right thing. Eat breakfast and even more importantly, get out and eat breakfast locally. Do it for me.

*******

I had a nice weekend this last weekend. I remembered when my wife after much soul searching my wife and I purchased a nice new iPod for our then much troubled son. He took the iPod to camp (against our admonitions) and then did not leave the iPod in his room (as I had begged) and eventually waded into Lake Michigan with the 300 dollar toy in his pocket. It did not end well for the sad little iPod. Fortunately our children grow older, mature, we buy them different toys which they are now old enough to handle... or not.

http://mangosquash.tumblr.com/post/237230297/all-for-the-sake-of-music-so-i-was-at-duffys-on

Happy Monday Kids.

No comments: