Sunday, January 10, 2010

Artisan Bacon! WTF?












THIS JUST IN FROM WINE AND CHEESE PLACE AS FORWARDED TO ME BY JON D
Bacon
We have been thinking about this idea for about a year now. 2010 is going to be the year of the BACON at TWCP. Each month (or possibly more frequently) we are going to feature a great artisan bacon at our stores. We have been carrying Nueskes for over 15 years and customers love it and the response to Benton's bacon was overwhelming. I have been doing research for a number of months and I have plenty of exciting bacons already picked out. The first one should arrive next week! You know it is artisan when you call to order and they say we should have some finished next week and could ship you some then. They do not have 1,000 of cases sitting around waiting to ship out. It is all handmade slowly, best ingredients, with care and it is not rushed or compromised in order to satisfy orders.


First time in St. Louis!!!
In fact after we placed the order, they called to t
hank us for being their first customer in St. Louis!!
It is fun to deal with small family companies!!

***

Obviously, we at the Diner Review can do nothing but applaud 2010 being "The Year Of Bacon". It is long over due and don't talk to me about out Chinese friends and their occasional "Year Of the Pig". Not the same thing. But what do we say about "Artisan Bacon". It seems wrong. I have been a long time fan of Oscar Meyer. Now I grant it is a little pricier then some of your other store bought bacons but generally the quality of this product is not something to be trifled with. certainly sometimes it is a little thinner or has a little too much fat but this is quibbling.

I had no idea that this fancy schmancy bacon was a trend and it has been going on since at least 2005 according to this article in The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200511/better-bacon

I have always been a fan of house made or house cut bacon at different establishments. A little wood and apple smoked bacon at Annie Gunn's or perhaps a nice heavily cured, slick sliced bacon from country diners... awesome. But buying high priced bacon at wine and cheese stores to take home? This seems like something from before the recession. Have we learned nothing? Bacon is a food of the people. All of us who are marching down the road to type 2 diabetes understand this. Giving me artisan bacon is akin to trying to replace my Busch beer with something brewed by Trappist monks. Perhaps it is a "pearls before swine" type of thing, I don't know but the whole idea of this makes me queasy.

I keep having people call me about "chocolate bacon". I have even seen it. Once again that does not make it right. Perhaps we should organize a protest. Picketing. Something. Perhaps write or Senators and Congressman? Why aren't the tea party people concerned about this? I bet that damn Claire Mc Caskill is spending our tax dollars on this fancy bacon! It has to stop!

No comments: