Monday, February 22, 2010

Curling: I laugh, I Cry, It Becomes A Part Of me!

Every winter Olympics I start watching and I berate the whole experience as being somehow, less then it should be. less then I want it to be. Because I only see it once every four years for a couple of days I always forget about the best event of the Winter (and perhaps Summer) Olympics. Sure, i know, the U.S. beat Canada in hockey (yawn) and that Bode (Bo-Dee) Miller won a Bronze a Silver and a Gold in skiing and have am up to my eyeballs in discussion of ski cross which though it should be exciting just seems (like stock car racing) to be a yawn until someone crashes.

Each Winter Olympics I get reminded of the brilliance that is women's Curling. Men;s Curling... not the same. Still interesting but women's curling is compelling in every way. Curling is the equivalent of bar hockey with people...on ice. All strategy and, well... mayhem. The other night we watched Great Britain against the U.S. Tonight I rushed home to see the end of Sweden v. Canada and now.... now the unbelievable drama of Japan and Switzerland.... soon to be denied as the Swiss are just CRUSHING the Japanese (who by the way are kind of cute). Wow, they just pounded them 10-4 and the Japanese had to concede.

They just announced that there is hockey next. And I just don't care. They did throw me a bone of saying that they were coming back later with U.S. v. China in CURLING! My son and his fraternity understand the gravitas of Curling. The Sig Eps at Valparaiso have been emulating the stars with BEER CAN CURLING! BRILLIANT! I do not know who is winning or how they score but i wish I was there to cheer on one team, or the other. There is something that just seems so awesome.

The women... they are generally not pretty although the Brits had one 18 year old with stripper type hair. There is just something about the strategy and about... the time it takes to play and between each slide of the stone that lends itself towards staring at the TV and drinking. Oh...maybe that is it. Never mind. I guess that is it. I am going to go downstairs and get another Busch Gold Top.

***

By the way... it is almost time for March Madness and the KUBE. Think 500 participants. Think Pay Pal. Tell your friends.

No comments: