Monday, July 5, 2010

The World Cup/ The Tour De France/ Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Sooooo.... they are related. I do not not know how as of yet but I will try and pull this together before we finish. The U.S. is out of the World Cup and we are on to the semi finals. My prediction of The Netherlands going all the way looks pretty good. (Go oranje). the Dutch are of course a deeply troubled country always laboring under the misapprehension that are part of Germany (a misapprehension maintained primarily by Germans) and the fact that a lot of people (me) get confused when we talk about Denmark, Holland, Belgium etcetera and wonder why they are all not part of Germany. If The Netherlands wins their semifinal then Germany will have a chance to possibly annex them in the finals. Breathing room. With three European teams in we must assume that the boys from Montevideo might not make the finals but it would be a sweet little lark to have the boys from Uruguay steal it all.

The Tour de France has started. Floyd Landis has reprised the role of a low rent Jose Conseco (can there be such a thing) and given about 2,000 interviews laying out in detail how dirty the sport is. The only thing we have learned about doping allegations thus far in all sports is that they are true. Every time. No matter who denies what. Mc Guire, Nolan Ryan, everyone who ever ran in the Olympics, Tiger Woods... all dopers. Probably the entire NHL: does too but i do not even think it is against the rules for them. But Landis filleted Lance and his team mates directly before the Tour and now the Tour has started and, well, frankly based on the number of crashes.... it appears they are all on drugs. So we assume Lance dopes and we assume he will get away with it. I know that I do not care about professional athletes doping. I am not sure why anyone does. People who hold view athletes as role models and encourage or even allow their children to do the same are very misguided and if little Johnny's world is going to fall in because a ball player (or bike rider) is juicing then Johnny has a lot more serious issues then we have tome to deal with today. By the way, despite all the Lance hoopla and his great team, I am predicting Contador does a back to back if he remains uninjured. No one can climb with him right now. If his team protects him, he wins.

That leaves us with irritable bowel and other gastro-intestinal maladies. i know of what I speak having been suffering now, post Wagenfeld Levine and never really recovering and now with my occurrence "presenting" again. They say that stress does not cause my problems but it does cause it to..."present". What a great word. i have lost 30 LBS. I would like to think I look better but I just look week and sick, which sucks. But my pants are falling off me which is kind of cool I guess. Do to my "condition" I am not absorbing vitamins B and D. Evidently I need them to hold weight. They have me one some drugs and so maybe that will help. Perhaps it will have the same effect as doping... or a Uruguayan hand-ball...or doping....or a bad crash in the Peloton.... and a little IRB will deliver me to full health. But probably not. perhaps it will help me "win".... but probably not. Perhaps it will just let me have a solid stool. I bet there are a lot of people who might consider that win.

By the way Netherlands advanced to the finals and that means....irritable bowel or no....I am a GENIUS!

1 comment:

POD said...

The Dutch also like to call themselves "Flemish." Each bastard in the country has his own moniker. Ridiculous