Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Where In The World Is Michael Becker?

Sooooo... exactly what has Mike been doing?

1. Quitting his job at Hepler Broom;
2. Going "Of Counsel" at Waltrip & Schmidt
3. Filing his first Hotel Chapter 11 (Sheraton Downtown St. Louis)
4. Attending a wedding of my nephew in Cancun
5. Taking a final trip to Michigan for the year for another wedding;
6. Attending too few of my daughters tennis matches (2)

There has been very little time for anything else. Going "Of Counsel" for the moment means I am a tenant working in a cube at the firm. I have a laptop. I have the services of a secretary/receptionist and I have some back up from some very competent attorneys if needed, and it already has been...needed. It has been a really busy month and I still have not even gotten to order my business cards. That is bad.

On the other hand it has been a great deal of fun.

Here is the dream.

I spend most of my time practicing law in my specialty of banking and bankruptcy.

I spend a portion of my time setting up myself to do pro bono bankruptcies and supervise some law students and show them how to do Chapter 7 bankruptcies for free. Perhaps for the immigrant population in St. Louis. Perhaps under the auspicies of SLU Law and and perhaps a Lutheran organization (I need someone to fund their filing fees).

I will report as the experiment continues. So far I have been too busy to pursue most of the dream in month number one. Finished up a couple of the pro bono cases I had started at the old place.

We will see how it goes. In the mean time what I want people to remind me often... is that September 2010 was a pretty good month.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Sounds exciting!!! I'm glad that you're enjoying your work more than before. I'm looking forward to your future updates.

:)