Saturday, November 13, 2010

Diner Review: Mama Josephines, The Best Comfort Food In The City!

Sooooo it has come to my attention...again...pointed out by no less eminent a critic then Johnny Chico that I have been filing to Diner or even dining reviews which is of course my purpose for blogging. Instead I have been "bloviating" about politics, the budget, Lutherans, The Giving tree and CD Reviews. Wasting your time... and mine. All we really give a shit about is food. Am I right? Of course I am right.

Recently on of the Diner reviews friends, the inimitable Kevin Donaldson read a review of a place called Mama Josephines in the RFT. http://www.riverfronttimes.com/slideshow/mama-josephines-southern-home-cookin-at-its-best-30411679/. I do not spend enough time pursing the RFT reviews on line but Donaldson has an empty and vacuous life and as such he is a veritable fount of useless information. I cultivate people like this and it holds me in good stead.

So he told me about Mama Josephines, and I read the review and wow... it seemed like a perfect place. It is located on Shaw several blocks east of the Botanical Gardens. it is not a perfect neighborhood and it is very close to the highway. Still it is a neighborhood that is struggling to make a come back. It was a little bit of a chilly day and Donaldson brought his partner who will remain nameless (primarily due to the fact that he arrived in a KIA). I was late and called in my apologies and asked what was on the menu and Donaldson hooked me up directly with the proprietor. Mary spoke with a nice Louisiana drawl and was charming and when she told me that they had home made chicken fried steak. I arrived as the food arrived and it was succulent. When you get chicken fried steak in the Lou we often end up with frozen patties and even more obscenely they are often dropped in a deep frier. This was perfectly hand breaded around a perfect piece of meat. The white cream gravy was also home made and perfect with some fries. It was awesome. They also brew their own iced tea.

Mary served the three of us as we sat outside (which will probably be out of the question now that it is November. My compatriots had the fried chicken which was awesome and they came with sides like green beans and mashed potatoes and corn bread. I also had the corn bread and it was the only minor disappointment being a little dry. It was the only thing I had or sampled that did not make me think that it was made especially for me while I waited. They also had the chicken and dumplings which had a nice broth and huge soft dumplings that made a perfect paste of chicken, pasta and broth. It really was perfect. The whole meal was almost unstoppably perfect so. They offered a great deal of home made deserts as well. I felt like I had to come back and so I did and I had the fried chicken this time and my guest had the chicken fried steak. They were both perfect again.

When mary was waiting on us she told the charming story of being raised in the restaurant business and then her parents not allowing her to pursue "the life" but she got to an age and just wanted to do this, for herself, for her mother and, well, for all of us. Donaldson mentioned to me that the food is under priced and I agree with him. I am concerned the place is not going to be open long despite the fabulous food and the charming owner. I need to get back there to try their Philly Cheese Steak, their fish, their pulled pork, their angus burger and everything else on menu. I would STRONGLY suggest you join me. Remember, eating at chain restaurants is a crime against St. Louis. The next thing you know you will confusing Mc Rib for food.

http://www.mamajosephines.com/Menu.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ATE THERE IT WAS AWFUL. FOOD WAS UNCOOKED AND COLD.....NASTY NASTY

mab said...

Uncooked? The Kitchen is 8 feet away! The owner practically lives there. She has a heart attack when someone frowns at her food. What kind of asshole makes an anonymous post like this?