Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year: Music Is Everywhere!

Soooooo my son gave me a XM/SIRIUS thingy for my car and a 3 month subscription. My wife already had it in her new car. I am really excited but it made me realize that I am starting to get overwhelmed by music availability. I have more places to listen to new and varied music than ever but feel like I am hearing less and less that is new that I am really interested in listening to. Lets look at how I used to find music:
1. Rolling Stone
2. KDHX
3. No Depression Magazine; and
4. Word of Mouth

Then I would buy a CD and make a mix tape to listen to in my car. Then I put music on my computer and that was awesome. I could make my own mix CD’s and after a few months of burning had most of my music library on my computer. I am convinced that there has never been more music out there as bands use he technology to make their music and distribute it but it is just too much to sift through. When we had only the record companies you were made aware of all major releases through advertising and buzz and then as the industry evolved which Indie labels were worth following. As the business has devolved it is a glorious chaos. Now I am in the middle of doing something called “iTunes Match” where I put it all my music on the cloud. I am told that I can now access my music library on any device and at any time. I don’t even know yet exactly how that will benefit me but I also know that Apple will find a way. In regard to music generally though, I am just sitting here feeling overwhelmed. Here are some of the things overwhelming with music as we start 2012:

1. Spotify: Spotify is cool and has easy access for even the computer semi literate like myself. Ease of use is what Apple gave us along with design that was more like art and made you feel cool for owning it. Spotify is similarly easy and intuitive for streaming artists you want to check out. But you got to find the artists. They do not make suggestions or at least meaningful suggestions and if your tastes are all over the place, don’t go here to find music, just to listen to it.

2. On Line Music Reviews: They are all over but what are the “trusted sources”. There is a great music industry blogger/email new letter guy named Bob Lefstz lefsetz.com who has turned me onto some good stuff but finding the guys you trust is really going to be the key to on line music in the near term. Who are the “filters” going to be that turn you on to good shit?

3. You Tube: A day killer. Pump in a bands name and check out videos and sometimes just the music of anyone...in the world. It will suggest similarly named videos but can do nothing to suggest types of music or artists.

4. Pandora: Is still fun and one out every 10 songs is something I have never heard and one out of every 20 is an artists I have never heard. I like to leave it streaming while I am working or reading to see what, if anything they come up with and take notes.

5. XM Radio: Great for filling need of what you want but you have to know where the new music shows are on your favorite channels. Still more for listening to what you like, rather than finding what you might like.

6. Pitchformmedia.com: Overwhelming! You should always want to go hear but they cover everything and whether you or I like it, electronica is huge, rap and hip hop are still forces and they cover EVERYTHING. They do it all in a self important justified “voice” that appeals to me. Sometimes wrong but never unsure, Pitchfork provides new music, and opinions as to quality. The key there is once again spending time and finding who the reviewers are that can really point you in the right direction.

7. NPR: For an old fart this is probably the best. Listen to their shows and touch their music pages at NPR.com and they will turn you on to some good stuff. They have become a trusted source and filter for me.

8. No Depression.com: This is what is left of the old No Depression magazine...RIP. It is still good for the alt-country/Americana music I love. My one complaint is that they are relentless cheerleaders for the genre. Sometimes you have to call something crap and stand by it. Everything they review is glowingly reviewed. Still, their annual top ten lists are something I always tune in to.

9. Radio: Normal, terrestrial radio is dead and irrelevant for music. Unless you are going to be satisfied with classic rock or big hat country, it is dead as a music source. Live with it. Move on. KDHX is the sole exception to this locally and they really are a treasure. They of course veer towards the Americana music that I like but they are deep on blues as well and provide a gathering place for those excited by music. Become a member. kdhx.org. Other than that, listen to NPR or if you want to be angry listen to 97.1. Other than that ride in silence.

Ok....so that is my thought on the current overwhelming state of music. There has never been a better time to be a fan and to find obscure things that no one else has ever heard of. Unfortunately it takes time and it takes sifting and I don’t have it anymore. At 50 life has suddenly...caught up to me. I never thought it would happen to me.

No comments: