Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lou Fest 2012 Preque


 Ok.... So I am pretty excited about Loufest this year.  I made the original festival in 2010 and took a significant amount of local pride in the event.  Bryan Cohen, a music head had moved here and had the genius to say, “why not”.  I have been to Austin City Limits and Lollapalooza and Bonaroo and they all hve someothing to offer but why should we not have a decent summer music fest. the 2010 Line Up was pretty awesome to start with and I had a friend was was traversing off on another major divorce so it was a good bonding boys weekend.  

Here was the initial lineup with a few comments two years later.

She & Him:  Had not yet really hit and was still cute
Broken Social Scene:Just a really good band.
Built to Spill: I think I have seen them 7 times and it is always sweet because Doug Martch’s mom lives near here and he always plays his peanne to her “Twin Falls”
Jeff Tweedy: Great homecoming but even at this point there are people in the Lou who treat him like Dylan.  I love and respect the guy but I think of him like I think of Stag Beer which I also love... “Pride of Bellebille”.
The Airborne Toxic Event; Non-Event
Alejandro Escovedo: Awesome. A lot of old drunks traveled up from Austin to see him.
Fruit Bats: Most interesting new band (for me)
Lucero: Ben Nichols got sick, puked o stage, laid down, came back, sang again, canceled show.
Titus Andronicus: Over hyped
Carolina Chocolate Drops: Sweet
Cory Chisel & the Wandering Sons: Do not remember
The Bottle Rockets: Kicked it off Festus Style!
Adam Reichmann: Local extremely talented never was.  Still great. Still unappreciated even in his home town.
So Many Dynamos: Skipped it.
stephaniesid: She was charming...wonder what happened to her.
Kim Massie: Skipped it
Gentleman Auction House: Great Local
Magnolia Summer: Great Local

Last year, the line up meant nothing to me so I skipped.  I assumed that the first year had not played out and they could not get the acts I wanted.  More likely they were bringing in bands that were too cool for this old man.  come si come sa.  It was a little disloyal of me not to go but... life is busy.

But when I saw this years line up, I go pretty excited.
Dinosaur Jr.
Dawes
Flaming Lips
Girl Talk
Son Volt

That is pretty strong line up and it is probably worth you checking the websight.  www.loufest.com.  

I am watching the Cardinal game and we are in the 16th against the Pirates and we just picked off a guy after getting an out at 3rd and we again have life!

When you go spend the day in the park though you go, if you love music to see the undercard and meet some new bands (for me) and here some new sounds and from what I have prelistened to:


Sleepy Kitty (local band here now from Chicago with a guitar and girl and some righteously loud music).  I have been really excited for these guys now that i have tapped them.

Blending together another 3 bands Phantogram, Someone Loves You Boris Yeltsin and The Pernikoff Brothers look to be excellent.  Between the food, the beer, the recent weather if it holds and having two days in the beautiful Forest Park, this could be an awesome event.  I am attending with my son and am considering doing the “Scooter Guy” thing http://stlouis.goscooterguy.com/ so I am kind of hoping it is “epic”.  Come on out and support the St. Louis music scene.  See your friends.  Eat some food.  Judge the event but you cannot win if you dont play.

It cannot last as long as this Cardinal game.  
P.S.  Cards lose in 19.  Hearbreaker.

Below:  Jay Farar and Son Volt

No comments: