Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Break n Egg Diner: The Review

Cream GravySoooo.... I know I promised that the Diner Review was dead but... I lied.  What are you going to do.  Due to my disabling, heinous, life threatening (well very inconveniencing) Celiac disease my dining career, or at least my diner , dining in diners, career.  Over.  Or at least side tracked.  I mean I can eat there but... I cannot eat...
Pancakes
Biscuits
Toast
A Slinger
Chili Mac
Basically anything I really liked to eat other than meat and potatoes.  So, I eat a lot of breakfasts at home.  I eat a lot of lunches at home.  I eat at home... a lot.

But my family has been on a church hunt.  A new place to gather on Sunday and our daughter was in town from college and we went to church in Clayton.  As you might or might not know, my family hates me.  Not just my wife but my children as well and because they hate me they decided to take me to First Watch.  I dislike First Watch.  I would just as soon eat at Dennys but everyone likes First Watch.  It seems painfully generic to me and the cheerful, well groomed young people they hire they make me tired.

The good news is that at 11 on a Sunday morning they had at least a 30 minute wait.  My wife explained to me that "you always wait at First Watch".  Not this guy.  I remembered a place I had gone with Mogerman some time ago also in Clayton and right on Forsythe called the "Break n Egg Diner"  There was a table for 6 open and unguessed.  We appeared to be at the end of the mornign rush and there were several unbussed tables (unlike First Watch where breakfast Nazis clear your table before you could sop up what was left of that runny egg) and it was pretty clear there were two waitresses and one guy in the kitchen. Perfect.  The place was packed.

We got our table after a short and much apologized about wait.  While our waitress was helping other people we were able to peruse the menu and we were ready to order.  They have the whole variety of breakfast products specializing in Omlettes.  I have personally, in a past life, sampled their biscuits and gravy which were very solid and well represented the genre though otherwise unremarkable.    Our wiatress could not have been more pleasant and kept water and tea filled up.  I would have to give her the dining review highest rating of CHARMING.

Everyone got bacon and eggs.  I had ordered crisp bacon and hashbrowns with my eggs.  They give you a plate full of foodMy scrambled eggs were a little over done (it is hard to screw up scrambled eggs and they were fine) and my wife's eggs were too runny.  My daughter in laws french toast looked good and the hash browns (shredded as God intended) were still not really brown enough though the portions were plenty.

Break n Egg is just what it should be.  Not a destination diner but a clearly reliable place where you can grab a little solid, rib sticking food when needed.  I did not originally think it would last (with the former chili mac diner still open as something right around the corner on Central) but the Break n Egg is clean, the food is hot, the service is respectful and it serves a need when you just CANT go to First Watch.  6 1/2 Slingers on the Ten Scale

No comments: