Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Corrections


Sadly it sometimes becomes the job of this diner to admit one of his many faults and ackowledge errors, mis-statements or other problems (other then spelling errors and typose which do not count in cyber space) with this otherwise flawless piece of digital stream of consciousness bullshit. Today is such a day as it was brought to my attent, rather bluntly by the dreaded Splittsville that I had...errored. In my review of the Courtesy Diner I defaulted to sausage as a breakfast meet!

Those of you who have the misfortune of knowing myself and my family know that although we highly revere the sausage (and indeed all products rendered from the pig) that bacon is certainly #1 in the heirarchy of pork. Sausage, especially breakfast sausage and especially breakfast sausage in patties (those east coast people love their fat link sausage...blech!) is certainly one of God's great gifts to the pantheon of breakfast meet but bacon...

Well my friends in this Diner's household bacon is the the language of love. We express affection for one another by making bacon, and sometimes by "leaving" a [iece of bacon for another family member. Generally at family breakfast we like to cook two pounds for the five of us and if greasy fingerprints are not left everywhere it is not a successful meal.

Which reminds me...so let me digress to the three important things I hope to impart to my children before they leave the fold. Most of you are already familiar with the three rules but humor me and feel free to email additions as you see fit. The three rules are:
1. Never eat anything bigger then your head
2 Never...EVER run unless you are being chased (I violated this rule recently much to my detriment); and
3. Never fry bacon in the nude.
For a long time there were only two rules but the third was added after I heard it uttered by a drunken man (10:00 A.M.) at a vegas poker table.



But back to bacon. Bacon properly cooked, if of high quality is one of the purest joys of life. As one can see by my picture of my breakfast at the Courtesy, I prefer sausage...AND bacon with my breakfast but bacon in diners is a chancy proposition. Not all diners order the highest quality bacon, not all diner cooks understand that there is a proper place between limp and burnt that a piece of bacon must be cooked to bring out all of it's fabulous qualities. At the Courtesy, if you are a regular and ask, you can get the "Bacon Report". Often on Saturday mornings I have had to call in the bacon report to friends and family much as you call them regarding inclement weather or the birth of a child.

Anyway...thhe bottom line is that this humble diner must apologize for my slighting of bacon. I believe in all future dining reviews there will be paragraph devoted to the bacon of the establishment. It is the only right thing to do. Please forward any additions to the essential rules of life or your own ode to bacon (since it is Valentines Day today to me at wantonbecker@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to nit pick a nit wit, but I do love repetitive sounds.

What about the ham steak? Or corned beef hash? Or chicken fried steak, or the breakfast pork chop? while I agree your omission of bacon is particularly egregious, one could excuse it since your laser focus on a particular breakfast meet was amusingly jejune.

If you really want to position yourself as an honest broker for diner reviews, you will need to develop a compendium of ALL breakfast meats. It wouldn't kill you to do an homage to the swine as the kickoff article (where to you think sausage link casings come from pal?)

Ode to the breakfast pig:

Progeny of slaughterhouse fodder
raised in the stench of superfarm
breathing the air of your species carnage

Effeciently hacked to shreds by lines of alien butchers
Everything but the oink is trucked to the local Safeway

The Germans built their cuisine on your sturdy back
Bacon, sausage, hamsteaks, deli meats and porkchops all flow from one mystical magical beast
with curative powers over hangovers

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the misguided love of bacon in the Becker household. While trapped in the confines of their walls, I too came to acknowledge this love of the "king of breakfast meets."

My view on this royal meet is that it should be fried to a crisp...as done by Crown Candy Kitchen for their BLT's. Isn't that correct Mike, even though there is no fryer in the place?