Tuesday, September 2, 2008

et tu Palin?

So I originally thought Sarah Palin was an interesting if kind of boring and pandering choice for V.P. Before Cheney V.P.’s did not matter at all and were window dressing at best. The daughter thing should not be an issue. It has nothing to do with her ability to lead but after thinking about it most of the day...

I am thinking she is going to be turned into a bad joke. Seriously, what is a mother of 5 doing running for President? How does that represent traditional conservative American values? I know she is a gun toting, moose hunting former hockey mom but how does that represent traditional American values? Seriously, if I had a 6 month old baby at home, moreover one with Down Syndrome, I would evaluate what my need was to reform Alaska in light of the needs of my family. The Evangelical conservatives which hijacked my old Republican Party have been touting that family matters MOST and family values matter MOST and here is a beauty queen, who left her family to become a career politician. Her husband is supposedly busy in either the oil fields or his commercial fishing business so who is taking care of the home?

She has kind of a squeaky voice. She was runner up for Ms. Alaska. And lets talk about Alaska. It is not even a real State. They have 639,000 or so people there. There are about 387,000 people in the City of St. Louis. The City itself. Not the surrounding counties and municipal area but just the City. Would we like Mayor Slay to be President on the basis of his command of the City of St. Louis Police? There are 2.8 million people in the metropolitan area of St. Louis. Over four times more people live in our metropolitan area then the whole State of Alaska. 670,000 people with a shit-load of oil money. How hard can it be? The Mc Cain spin that she is prepared to lead because of her time as commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard is laughable. I am not saying Obama has such experience but he did not define the argument and then go out and pick up a good looking young mother of 5 from a State that should be part of Canada. She has five children. Perfect for V.P. She has named them Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper and Trig. That is what most people would name their five kids here in the midwest. It stinks of our values and makes us relate to her in the same way my wife, a conservative, Republican Christian could relate to any moose hunting, hockey mom with 5 kids and a pregnant 17 year old spending all her time away from her family running for office and having kids. And perhaps she will have some more.

Sooooo... I am thinking this could Mc Cain, or at least his candidacy.

The “trooper-gate” thing does not bother me. if my sister was in an ugly custody battle I would not hesitate to try and get her husband fired if i thought it was best for my sister and her kids. That is human nature. But nominating the former Miss Alaska with 5 kids and an infant with down syndrome does raise a question of where her traditional family values are. Her husband owns a commercial fishing business. Shouldn't someone be at home with 4 minor children? Perhaps...a parent.

She was a Catholic, then a Pentecostal, now non denominational. So that at least is stable. While switching her religious affiliations 3 times she has at least been able to remain a life long member of the NRA.

I would assume we have heard all the problems she has and to be fair, these are not real problems. It is only the Vice Presidential nominee but seriously, if her choices make some conservative people uncomfortable and if we question her judgment.

I am going to leave her alone at this point but, I do not think other people will. Perhaps she will give a brilliant speech at the convention and have everyone rally around her. I noticed that for the last two days she has disappeared and hired a team of lawyers for trooper-gate. Not encouraging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Her ambition is laudable but at what cost.

I was looking for this video when I came across your post, just thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrUN8oldj9o