Monday, September 1, 2008

LABOR DAY!

Labor Day? Who would of thunk that I would even live to see another Labor Day. In theory it is a really good idea. A three day weekend to commemorate the end of summer but seriously, sometime in the last 10 years or so summer started to end at the end of July. Why is that? I do not know but kids started to go back to school earlier and earlier. I think they did it so the semester could end before Christmas break but... that seems like a really crappy reason. I miss summer running from the first of June to the end of August. So Labor day is just... kind of odd.

The kids have been back at college or at high school for 2-3 weeks already. I have been working (though based on my hours my partners do not think I am working) like summer was never here. It was not a bad summer. I had two weeks away from work up in Michigan (lovely) but as the summer officially wraps up I cannot help but think of missed opportunities and personal and... national disappointments.

*****

I watched Obama’s speech and it served yet another purpose for me. It was a fine speech but I fell asleep less then half way through. I feel stupid about it but I really did have some unbelievably messianic (small m) hopes for him. I was disappointed by the Biden choice but really thought that he would light it up in front of 80,000 people and give e a speech for the ages. That is not what he did. It was a great speech but... it will not be remembered and it did not transcend anything....again. I am still going to vote for him. I still want to have someone who might be able to replace judges with some that are not young, smart, Nazis.

****

Mc Cain appoints a woman Governor from Alaska. She too is as far to the right as you can get and will play well to the base that Mc Cain has been pandering to since he sold his soul to the Bushies. It is a brave play and bold. She is young, she is pretty, and likely will appeal to some of Hillary’s hard core followers who did not embrace Obama...right? Wrong. Very wrong. Just like abortion is the ONLY issue for that Bush coalition it is the ONLY issue running the other way for Hillary’s gals. They could not even hold their nose and vote for her and the idea that a 40 something women will be President if Mc Cain croaks will frighten a lot of people too.

On that note, it will not frighten me. This EXPERIENCE issue has been bogus one from the start. you do not train to be President. The job is too massive and you either can lead and surround yourself with quality people to help govern, or as we have seen you can grab your dads craziest old friends and let them run your government, your economy and your war. That worked out well. At least Obama will not be bringing his dad’s tribal chief buddies from Kenya in as his cabinet... at least I think he won’t.

****

So we get a day off on Monday. I will go to work anyway. Laboring on Labor Day. Does that make any sense?

****

Wow. A little late breaking news. Sarah Palin’s 17 year old daughter Bristol... 5 months pregnant. This should be a huge non story and obama did the right thing and said it had nothing to do with the election and reminded everyone that his mom had him when he was 18. It is hard to believe that Mc Cain new about it. Was he waiting for the right time to disclose? This is going to be distracting. The idea that somehow it is great news and she is brave to let her daughter have the baby is troubling. It is just a sad story all around but if your not a conservative and you you do not personalize it... it is kind of funny. I do not know anything about “trooper-gate” but where does Mc Cain find all these good looking, energetic young female supporters?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What more do you want from Obama's speech? He balanced bringing people to tears with the big picture change and hope rhetoric, then covered some specific issues with logical solutions. Apparently the associated press agrees with you however, they are currently complaining that his bounce in the polls only went up 4 or 5 percent.

Now as far as the EXPERIENCE issue goes, I'd say the fact that a couple of years ago Palin was merely a mayor of a town of a few thousand people, in ALASKA. I mean the only economic calls there are the delegate balance of oil drilling and dead seals. Well maybe not, but I'm just saying the lady is totally unfit and is only chosen because she is a young woman. Are the Hillary voters really that stupid to switch over (maybe?)

What quality people do McCain OR Palin have to surround themselves with? No one really likes these people. And, forget clearing out these judges for more sensible ones. The only people Palin fires are ex-brother-in-laws. The only person McCain haqs gotten rid of was his aging unattractive wife for a younger, hotter, richer one.


Finally, I am not the father, Palin. Stop calling me.