Monday, January 26, 2009

Sweet Sixteen!

Soooooo....my daughter turned 16 today. My youngest. My only girl. My baby. You talk about feeling OLD and confused. Senile before my time. There is only one question. Why is it that God has allowed me to live this long? Why is it that you (as a father) care so much more about your daughter then your sons?

I guess those are two questions. The answer to the first one is easy. God is angry with me.... and the world. So God thought it would be funny to let me have a daughter grown to dating age and independance and dating and ohhhh shit. I wish we had a better day for it, but she went and got her license this morning and then drove to school. Then, after we had told her not to ride anyone in her call for a month.... she took her friend Hannah home. No one died.

But the second question is why daughters seem so special in comparison to sons. I love my sons. But my daughter just tends to make me smile all the time. I can drive around with her, run errands with her, go to dinner with her and.... I smile. She is just as difficult as the boys. She is just as annoying as the boys. Just as stupid as the boys (in her own way). Lazier (if that is possible) then the boys. So what is the deal.

Fortunately, I have the answer. My daughter Laura is simply that much better then anyone elses daughter.... ever. Smarter, cuter, funnier then any other girl...ever... other then maybe my mom, but I didn’t know her when she was 16. My wife (who I did know when she was 16) was close but only close.

We got her some presents, and 16 roses and...some LEGO kits (is that normal?). We went to dinner at Deweys (I talked her out of The Melting Pot because of the weather) and had some awesome pizza. Laura is of course hoping for a snow day tomorrow and as I sit here i could not think of a better day then laying on the couch and watching the food channel all day in the snow.
So here is Laura at 16. God have mercy on her boyfriend or husband. because I likely will not.

No comments: