Saturday, June 5, 2010

John Wooden R.I.P.

I believe that my failure to cover these pages has more to do with my over all health malaise then any other issue but I still have a lot to say. For the first time in my adult life I have started to withdraw from the news. I cannot place the exact region but I am experience a fatigue regarding the anger, frustration and self righteousness that I have to read about. Still there is a lot going on and I cant (nor should I) tune it all out.

Today I was moved by John Woodens death. Perhaps he had personal demons, was a bastard to play for, cheated on his wife, was an alcoholic, had kids who hates him, cheated at recruiting, turned away while his players doped... but I don't think so. I don't know though and I am happy about that. How blessed were we (and was Wooden) to have achieved what he achieved before it was the obligation of every media outlet to disclose and debunk him as a hero. An age where players were not such media superstars and prima donnas that they felt like they had a right to talk trash about their coach or reveal his foibles. This guy was a winner of the rarest kind. I am a huge college basketball fan. I do not remember the Lou Alcindor days (though I do recall the uproar when he changed his name) but definitely remember when he was still on a run and was coaching Bill Walton. Walton was a tremendous talent, obviously lost in his life and to see Wooden coach this kid, even as i was a child myself, he had a loving, father like manner to him.

The guy exuded class. never told anyone about how Christian he was and was humble to a fault right up until his death. He stayed married to his wife and likely was faithful to her death. he will be missed. he carried around with him the 7 rules his father gave him and it humbles me to read such simple, perfect advice.

1. Be true to yourself.
2. Make each day your masterpiece.
3. Help others.
4. Drink deeply from good books, including the Good Book.
5. Make friendship a fine art.
6. Build a shelter against a rainy day.
7. Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.

If I could do this myself or convince my kids of their merit. I might be a better dad, and person. maybe even a better lawyer.

No comments: