Sunday, June 6, 2010

Missouri Illegal Immigration Problem....Really?






Soooo I guess Missouri has a pretty serious illegal immigration problem. I mean Republicans in State Government have made it a priority to get a bill passed to mirror the recent Arizona law that has everyone buzzing. I am not here to opine on that law. Arizona sits on an uncontrolled border and has a lot of very real issues with illegal immigration. I might not like their approach but I do not deal with their problems, nor do most Missourians. I understand that maintaining a border is an essential part of any country's fundamental duties. I understand that unchecked immigration is a social threat and a terrorist threat and all kinds of threats but we are of course a nation of immigrants and everyone I know who says they are here legally claims it by virtue of birth. Though they might protest that their forefathers came over here "the right way" I would put it to any "birther" to prove it to me. We are here. Many of us pay taxes (a lot of taxes and have for a long time) and we resent the idea of people flooding in here and taking what we got. Politically I get it. As a Christian as I find this paranoia and anger revolting. But this is not the place for that. The fact is that Missouri does NOT have an illegal immigration problem that deserves the limited resources or the even more limited attention span of our State Legislators.

But Mark Parkinson of St. Peters is sponsoring a bill to deal with this pressing issue. St. Peters Missouri as most of you know has thousands of undocumented workers flowing into it every day, using public services and taking jobs that real citizens could have...except that they don't. Parkinson appears to be playing to his crowd sponsoring other legislation including:


HB2449
Creates various crimes for trafficking, concealing, haboring, sheltering, or transporting illegal aliens
HB2449 -- (LR# 5481L.02I)

And these equally important uses of legislative time:


HCR76
Encourages every school district in Missouri to promote and include trap shooting as a high school sport
HCR76 -- (LR# 5225L.02I)

and...


HB2131
Requires a $2 deduction each pay period from the Governor's personal pay to be deposited into the Governor Nixon's Federal Scratch-Off, Match-Off Fund to purchase a Powerball lottery ticket each week
HB2131 -- (LR# 4979L.01I)

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills101/spon/spn016.htm

So at least we know the people of St. peters are well represented regarding the illegal immigration menace.

According to Statemaster.com Missouri ranks 34th in illegal immigrants with almost 22,000 people flooding our public schools, and stealing jobs from our valid citizens. That is almost .037% of our population threatening and menacing us with their hispanic horde.

All I am saying Missouri is get a grip. We have serious problems in Missouri and illegal immigration is not one of them. If we are going to protect our borders we have more to worry about with people fleeing Arkansas then Mexico and when Illinois' budget crashes we could have a huge influx of "those people" moving into our State as well. I long for higher Mexican American population so that I do not have to travel so far for good Mexican food (not Taco Bell or Casa Gallardo or even, "gasp" Hacienda). I have never had a person count back change to me in Spanish. My children have never been forced to sit through bilingual education. It is nit an issue here, other then a political issue. Like abortion and gay marriage it is a litmus test issue for the "you are either with us or your against us" people who are controlling the political conversation.

I say lets not play the game. The fact is that hispanics currently make up 14% of our population. They are projected to make up 29% by 2050. A spanish lesson for all of our children might be a forward looking thing to do rather then pass a law for a problem here that simply does not exist.

No comments: