Friday, August 6, 2010

Fozzies Sandwich Emorium: The Review....

Two words...OH MY GOD! I was leaving Clayton to head downtown and noticed a new place on Big bend, right before I got on the highway. it was called Fozzie's Sandwich Emporium. I personally was never a Muppets fan and spent a long time seriously concerned about the Fozzie Bear character. he was unfunny in a way that made me want to punch him. I do not know whether that was the intent, or whether it reflects more poorly on me, or Jim Henson. t looked like an old gas station, maybe a Clark station. I thought it looked like a typical "wraps" place or some other place that would serve veggie burgers and forgot about it. On a typical Friday, I have no friends who will break bread with me and have a lot to contemplate. Eating lunch alone (with my Wall Street Journal) has become a bad habit. So I headed out highway 40 on Friday and went to Fozzies for lunch. The place had ample parking although i could see people lined up inside.

I parked and immediately noticed that behind the place they have several large garden boxes filled with tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, cilantro, parsley and all manner of greens. Interesting. The door is a long way from the lot and you walk along the back of the place and they have several tables set out there and there is some shade available even at lunch. Still, on a 100 degree day you do not want to park your butt out there. The place itself is unimpressive with a small area to order before the counter, three tables offering minimal seating and space to wait for your order. The menu is displayed on large chalk boards and I immediately thought... uh oh!

Lots of offerings with V's before them. Veggie options. Should I just turn around? Should I spray paint markings on the building that it burned so as not to tempt little children down the slippery slope of healthy eating? But immediately I start looking at the other sandwich offerings and started to be impressed. Philly Cheese Steaks, hot dogs, Gyros, French Dips. Also they tout deserts, hand made shakes... and yes they do have all manor of salads. I think I counted about 20 sandwich selections. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful in the way that people who really like what they are doing and like what they are selling can muster. Think Apple Store. In preparing this post I tried to find a web site but came up dry. I will inquire on next trip there.

The cheerful guy at the counter was helpful and friendly and full of energy like only an employee who really loves his job and his project. Think Apple Store employee. He saw me looking at the options and could sense I was not that bright and said "The Big Bend Mafia is our best seller". The Big Bend Mafia is described as Italian Beef, salsiccia, giardiniera and provolone on a garlic hoagie. I was able to grab a table and sample with their home made chips. While the chips were a little disappointing, I knife and forked the rest of it with a great deal of pleasure. this was a succulent sandwich made better by the bread. the italian beef had a good flavor and the salsiccia was mild but flavorful. I had no idea what the gardiniera was but it was delicious and I have now learned the following from Wikkipedia:

"Giardiniera is an Italian or Italian-American relish of pickled vegetables in vinegar or oil. Giardiniera is available as either mild or hot. In the United States, hot giardiniera is often referred to as "Hot Mix".
Common vegetables in the Italian version, also called sotto aceti, include onions, celery, zucchini, carrots and cauliflower, pickled vegetables in red- or white-wine vinegar. It is typically eaten as an antipasto, or with salads.
In Chicago, giardiniera is a condiment, typically used as a topping on Italian beef sandwiches.[1] Giardiniera is commonly made with serrano peppers and some combination of assorted vegetables, such as bell peppers, olives, celery, pimentos, carrots and cauliflower and sometimes crushed red pepper flakes, all marinated in vegetable oil, olive oil, soybean oil or any combination of the three oils." Good to know. This really did make the sandwich.

I liked it so much I came back that night and treated myself to The Italian Grinder. "Capicola, mortadella, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato on garlic hoagie. Wow. This was even better and the lettuce tasted like the tomatoes, right out of the garden in back. I do not know whether or not it was but the illusion was provided by their locavore garden. I took this one home, skipped the home made chips and once again knife and forked it. The italian dressing was great but very Wishbone-esque. It was all a messy, messy delight.

On saturday i closed out with Da Dip. Hot roast beef with debris onions, swiss cheese and tiger suce on crispy baguette. It too was outstanding as a carry out and traveled well back to my house. It was a good sandwich but i was slightly disappointed by the Tiger Sauce which i think of as a cajun sauce but from a little research on the web appears it can also be like a dill based white sauce. It was not bad, just was not what i expected. The bread again was outstanding. They really seem to pay attention to the bread.

I guess that is really the thing so far. Fozzies really pays attention to the details. I am told their Lamb Gyro is to die for and that will be my next attempt. They also have a "sweet side" which includes custom shakes with all sorts of ingredients like and toppings ranging from bananas and walnuts to granola and snickers. That will need to get a try as well. I would kill for a place like this downtown. try it now, before they screw it up and expand or get overwhelmed. They are a quality operation. Savor them, support them.

2 comments:

ed_stl said...

earlier this summer, i was driving home (south on Big Bend from Delmar) and thought about how i wished there was a local eatery i could walk to other than harvest and starr's. when fozzie's popped up in june, i was pleasantly surprised and joked with my good friend about there being a basket of produce as you enter that you could throw at the sandwich maker, much like people threw produce at fozzie from muppets. (we added it would be an additional plus if they offered "guaca guaca moley" as a sandwich enhancer) I am glad to hear it is worth giving a shot, and I cheers to its success...hopefully Miss Piggy will open a rib joint on the same block.

Matt D'Rion said...

We love the place! One day the president of our company was in their ordering a sandwich, he asked what their website was and at that time it was "a work in progress". Our President here at RESPONSE!, immediately said "I am building your website for you" and had them come by. It is up and running now, easy to use and simple, yet good, just like Fozzie's: http://www.foodatfozzies.com/