Sunday, March 6, 2011

Joyce Carol Oates:

Sooooo Friday night in the Lou and I at the St. Louis County library seeing Joyce Carol Oates speak. That is right. Soulard was preparing for Mardi GRAS. The bars were open and I was in a Library I have not darkened since my children were writing book reports (pre-Internet). I did not know why I was there. She was there because she had been brought in for St. Louis Reads which brings in several authors each year.

Ms. Oates has reportedly written over over 50 books. I have read 3 of them. She is an incredibly versatile and ... Workmanlike writer. She has written maybe a billion short stories which I have liked better then her books. She has been nominated for the Pultzer three times and won the National Book Award. I have not done any of those things. It is now 7:04 and she is late. I have a golden ticket for group 5 for her book signing and do not know whether I am that interested. But I digress.

Recently she wrote a piece in the New Yorker regarding the death of her husband that broke my heart. She came out about 7:10 and Bob marsh introduced her. It was... a dark and stormy night and the sirens were going off warning that we should head for the basement and Ms. Oates commented on what a frightening place we lived in. She had just come from a chance to meet President Obama and seemed impressed by him. She talked a little bit about her late husband Ray and about their marriage and about how in a long marriage you just kind of take for granted that this person is canoeing with you down a river... unless they die.

The New Yorker piece I referenced above was really awesome. What I did not realize was that it excerpted the most interesting parts of her new book "A Widows Story". She really read beautifully and between each section she would read she would talk a little about that section of the book. I think she is about 73 years old and she really has a lovely reading voice and a really nice disposition for a widow. I think she has gotten remarried but her stories and comments about her marriage were really interesting and more than a little poignant. She just has a great way with the language.

I noticed that I was one of the youngest people there. The whole front 2/3 of the room was reserved for the Friends of St. Louis County Library. I did not even know that there was such a beast. More interestingly every man that was around me had glasses...like me. Universal eye strain? Two much self abuse? Who knows. The women...old and unattractive. I guess pretty young people do not read. Perhaps we can discuss that some other time. She read for more than an hour and wrapped up by taking questions and she once again was generally charming, interesting and grace filled. I left to go drink wine with my wife so i did not get my book signed. Perhaps after she writes 50 more.

Jonathan Franzen will be coming later in the year. I might have to come back.

No comments: