Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mental Illness and March Madness

That is not fair. Perhaps it is not mental illness but being up at 5:00 on a Saturday can really feel mentally ill. Of course I need to go to work. I woke up, thinking about it no particular order, making tamales, the NCAA Tournament and of course..work. Also making putting together a good playlist to make it through the day and perhaps going to Soulard Market and buying a chicken with a head on it to bake... and basketball.

“You got to get behind the mule, in the morning and plow”. Thats what Tom Waits said. Can he possibly be wrong. So Kukla is missing in action. I think the prom was last night and his wife is out of town and without her guiding his day to actions he seems to lose all motivation. All we can do is pray for him and pray for the hope that he gets it together quick enough to get the game up and running prior to tomorrow and, that is right, say it... SELECTION SUNDAY!

It is not really a high holiday but it really feels like one. Spring is in the air, I am not going to Vegas, I do not hate my job and basketball is in the air. The good news is that Notre Dame lost last night to Louisville. To my Notre Dame friends...I am so sorry that God let that happen. Ooops... no I am not. On the other hand the hated...hated Ohio State Buckeyes llok like they will go into the tournament with a number 1 seed. This obviously is an abomination primarily because I will have to speak and read Face Book postings and Tweets from OSU fans and they will be....insufferable. It also looks like the entire Big East is going to the tournament. This is only good because the TCU Horned Frogs will soon be part of that conference (doormat) and it should... all be good. My home town SLU Billikens will be watching and waiting for next year. My much loved Valparaiso Crusaders will not be going and I will find no pleasure in watching last years Cinderellas of the Horizon League Butle Bull Dogs get punted in the first round. Diaper Darlings no more.

So... I expect De Penaloza to get a strong Maritz group together. Kukla to work his usual magic, I will cull Kube Kontestants from my 17 ex law firms, Gates will draw in random people from kentucky and the West Coast, kommitted, konservatives from Omaha will be weighing in and good time will be had by all. 200 people playing would be good. 500 would be better. ZSo much better.

So brace yourself for a weekend of basketball... and get those KUBE Brakkets in and...God Bless us everyone.

No comments: