Saturday, November 17, 2012

Concert Review: James Mc Murtry @ The Duck Room





Sooooo I went to see James Mc Murtry at he Duck Room last week. It was a school night but I love this guy. I believe him to be the greatest living and performing American singer/songwriter. I could be wrong, I have been before but I kind of doubt it. I mean Dylan is alive and performing and without question has a more comprehensive body of work but for at least the last yen years and perhaps the last 20 the shows have more often then not been incomprehensible and sucked more than a little. Mc Murtry is of course the son of American treasure Larry Mc Murtry (noted book collector and sometimes author, wrote"Lonesome Dove" and what not).  Mc Murtry has only been recording since 1987 or so.   His first CD was produced by John Cougar Mellencamp and had a lot of his band but it was sparsely produced and brilliant...but I digress.  

Unlike Dylan Mc Murtry is still putting out quality new material and performing tight shows.  He plays every Wednesday at midnight at the Continental Club in Austin when he is not on the road and what that means is that he is always honing his chops. Always performing, always working. He has had a resurgence over the last couple of years.  Outlaw Country on SIRIUS keeps him in solid rotation (her should have his own show' in fact they should broadcast him live from the Continental Club every Wednesday night) and "Choctaw Bingo" which he claims celebrates "the north Texas Sutheast Oklahoma methamphetamine industry" is really just a celebration of a fucked up white trash family reunion at their whacked out old uncle Slaben's place. But folks love it and it is a great sing along meh also recorded a song called "We can't make it here anymore" which has become an anthem of sorters for  the problems and opportunities in our post neo con enconomy.  It is biting, and sad and true. More overlooked are his brilliant ballads "Carlos and Rita"  and "Lights of Cheyenne". He is a BRILLIANT writer.   He has an authentic voice and never forget, he plays guitar like a rock star.  

So I went to see him.  I thought it was. A early show with opener at 8 and Mc Murtry at 9:00 but as is well documented, I am, of course, an idiot.  I showed up at 8:15 figuring I would miss part of the opener, a band called “The Five And Dimers”.  I was going to go with my wife because it was an early show but than another friend wanted to go and then it got late and so my wife decided not to go and then the friend decided not to go, which left me going by myself which suited me... just fine.  So I got there and of course had not bought a ticket and of course it was sold out.  I had not anticipated that so many people in St. Louis shared my excellent taste.  The Duck room has capacity of 350 so perhaps it was not that remarkable and was just bad planning because as stated immediately above and reaffirmed here, I am an idiot.  I stood around and there were several people waiting for tickets but I persevered.  Ultimately another person who like me (when I buy tickets0 bought more than he needed and I paid face value and got into the show.  

Unfortunately the show was not the show yet.  Doors were at 8, opener at 9, Mc Murtry at 10.  Ooops.  Did I mention it was a school night.  I got my spot centered on the stage, about 10 feet back.  They had set up tables in front which seemed a little stupid but... BEATLE Bob was there!  I had just had a discussion the week before about whether or not he was dead but apparently not.  the Five and Dimers came on prompltly as i sucked down a Stag and was trying to be removed but the band sounded really good.  It was a little Byrdsy, Burrito Brothers sounds with a nice violin and understated banjo and a decent singer guitarist.  They were really surprisingly good and I will need to devote a little time to their catalogue.  Tey got done at the crack of 9:50 and then we waited about 25 minutes for Mc Murtry and company to set up.

He came on at 10:15 and and he was accompanied by Darren Hess and Ronnie Johnson which is really all the band he ever needs.  He was playing loud using both of his electrics as he tore into “Turtle Bayou” and “Hurricane Season” and got the crowd going.  Really going.  A packed house swaying clapping and yelping and Mc Murtry playing a little bit to the crowd and a lot for himself. He has been doing this for so long and these guys are so tight together and it is nice to see someone at the height of his game.  He might be tired.  he might even be bored but you get the feeling he plays every night with fear and arrogance.  He respects his aurdience as much as they respect him and this Duck Room crowd was a little chatty once you got twenty feet from the stage.  I never understand why people come to a show like that and talk all the way through it but...shit happens.

He brought the house down with “Choctaw Bingo” and then sent the boys off and did some solo numbers where he showcased a little sweet acoustic guitar.  The band came back, the crowd amped uop and beatle Bob danced and danced with every drunken girl at the front of the stage.  Everything the guy does is so nuanced, whether it is the way he plays, sings or stares at the crowd.  He turned 50 last march and he has some hard miles put on that face and maybe on his soul as well but there is something there that sees and can channel a portion of America that lies just out of your headlights or just around the corner but there, and real and haunting and sometimes even joyful,  It was a serious performance and even after seeing him 10 times he is a wonder to watch. Don’t miss him the next time he comes to town.  And remember to buy a ticket prior to the show.

If you want to find out more or listen NPR covers him pretty well

http://www.npr.org/templates/search/index.php?&sort=match&searchinput=mcmurtry

No comments: