Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Whiskey In The WInter Review





Sooooo.... I have friends.  Not many friends and not good friends but friends never the less.  These friends are sometimes very nice people.  Sometimes they like to drink... perhaps that is why they are my friends...who knows.  The main thing is that I sometimes like to do things with friends.  So a couple of months ago I am reading that fabulously shabby and only occasionally marginally useful Riverfront Times.  But I read it all the time.  I read it every week.  There are sometimes good reviews and it is a nice place to get concert listings but mainly it is a place to look at adds and see if there are no restaurants opening or advertising that you have not heard of.  Sometimes their are events being publicised and thus it was that i saw an add for “Whiskey In The Winter”.

It led me to the website http://www.whiskeyinthewinter.com/

I forwarded it to my wife expecting her to shoot it down and instead it was met with hearty approval.  I forwarded to my friend and he immediately was in with his lovely wife as well.  So tickets were purchased and on December 1, 2012 we were picked up by our friends and headed to down to The Hyatt (the Old Adams Mark Downtown.

Surprisingly the even was sold out.  There were people all over the place and it was an eclectic mix of folks from middle aged men with their girlfriends and second wives to old couples (like us) to a lot of pretty single people, and some people who are just serious bourbon drinkers.  You walk into the main ballroom on the 2nd or 3rd floor (whatever) and you just see tables set out in rows and at each one is a different distiller or producer and each one has 3,4 or 5 different products which you can sample.  Some serve a swallow, some pour a slug and they will give you as much or as little ice as you require.

So we went to the first table and started.  And then we went to another and sampled, just a little.  Then we went out to the buffet which was ample and somewhat opulent with gumbo, carved meat and potatoes and various sides and a lot a choice to drink some girly fruity bourbon drinks in case you have brought someone with a less serious addiction than you might have.  It was a nice spread and there were a few tables to sit down at if you waited and poached.  They did have some bag pipers which people love... and I hate.

Then we went back.  I could wax poetic about all the bourbons but when you have a few the tatses go pretty numb pretty quick.  There was scotch too (though not as much) and some locally distilled spirits as well (Four Square) but more than anything else there was bourbon.  Rows and rows of bourbon.  Kentucky sour mash and rye and canadian and small batch and big producer.  I got to taste several that I had never heard of and my big discovery of the night was Willet out of Bardstown.

We had a designated driver but we had over served ourselves.  Next year we stay at the hotel and we hope to see you there.

No comments: