Wednesday, January 17, 2007



So...What do you do about...Southpark? This is a big question as a parent but it is just the metaphor for a much bigger question regarding where you draw the line between parenting and...well... just hanging out. Southpark...I love it but it is a guilty pleasure. I do believe that they address is a funny, smart way a lot of the weird stupid things in todays society. Parents paranoia regarding childhood abduction, odd religions...including Christianity. global warming...hunting...homosexuality...racism...they cover it all and most of the time as i said they do it in a funny and smart way. but I am 45. I have a lot of life experience and know the irony involved. I know the creators hate conservatives...but they really hate liberals. I know when they have Christ, Buhda and others as the legion of super heroes that they do not mean disrespect...they mean to make me think about what I believe and why.

But what about my kids. I have been watching Southpark with my sons for...well for years. Do they filter out the crudity and baseness of it when they watch. For that, do I really filter it out myself? And Southpark is just an example for the many things I enjoy which really are...or might be...totally inappropriate for my children. Nusic with profanity and violence. Movies with explicit sexuality...where do you draw the line.

We try as parents to make the right decisions but often we make the easy decisions. I don't know what else to do and it does not feel like I really have choices but i do...I just do not have the discipline. So...I do what I can...think a little...pray a little...and watch Southpark, sometimes with my kids and sometimes I laugh my ass off. I am not sure that is all bad.

No comments: