Monday, March 29, 2010

Just Another Big Disappointment

While I am sure you are thinking that I am disappointed in my standing in the KUBE (currently 212 and 219 respectively) but that is a minor, minor disappointment compared to the recent assault on my limited self esteem that I was recently confronted with. On Saturday the Pritzker people announced their winner of the 2010 Architecture Laureate. Most of you might no know my love and fascination with Architecture. it is in line with my whole goal of being a renaissance man. You know, a man who is well read (all of the John Grisham Books), an appreciation for the arts (well, where should I start, comic books, a fairly critical review that I wrote of the Conan The Barbarian movies, my own collection of crayon pictures from grade school, the list goes on and on) and also a very accomplished amateur architect.

the Prizker people have been awarding these international architecture prizes for years and it is a VERY elaborate selection process. the winners were Ryue Nishizawa and Kazuyo Sejima. That is right, not even Americans. What kind of international prize is it that is not given exclusively to Americans. I mean... they gave the International Peace Prize to President Obama for what they thought he might do. On top of that was the fact that my submission really was brilliant this year.

Here is what actually one the Pritzker prize this year. I mean, I guess it is fine and it is only one of the examples of their work, but... once again.... they are foreigners and they are building buildings in foreign places. How interesting is that? The answer it is a really easy one, not very. I have been rejected for my architectural submissions for the last several years and although that has been very hurtful it has not dulled my will to persevere but this year, this year I thought I really had something. So... I put a lot of time and effort into it and came up with this.

That is right. A perfectly symmetrical example of form and function. And what did the Pritzker people do? Crap on me. Happy Monday

No comments: