Saturday, March 20, 2010

KU. KUBE? Koincidence? I Think Not!

So I apologize for the lack of updates in this space but... well... aliens took over my body and made me drink too much the last two days. It was not my fault. It was dark, they were big.... I don't remember. I do not thing that the blood on my clothes is mine and my wife is asking some awkward questions but... I digress.

There have been a lot of Komplaints regarding shutting off the ability to get your brackets posted after 11:00 A.M. Thursday. Although it probably cost us 10 entries on behalf of KUBE management I would like say, get over it people.

What is a Megan Tietjens? Where does one of those come from? Are they bred specifically for basketball prognosticating prowess? She was our leader after the first day of games but was knocked in to second place but she looks like a future kompetitor. She also has the hated Ohio State Buck Eyes winning it all. That is a gusty, Big Tennish, unlikable pick. Still, she might be the one. Currently we have Jim Blair leading but he too has picked a much hated and reviled team, the Duke Blue Devils to go all the way.

While many komments might be made about the dramatic moves up and down the chart John De Penalozza's move from 132 to 13 is certainly impressive. On the other hand he is still John De Penalozza. Anne Yannakakis has a VERY interesting bracket (is that a dirty thing to say) with over 630 possible points which is spooky weird. Scott Humes was tied with himself for 3rd. Seriously, what are the odds? I intended to submit three brackets but evidently forget to hit send on my only decent bracket and I am languishing in the deep 100-270 range. Simply put.... I kinda suck. No surprises. Andy Hoffman was 4th after Thursday and 44 after Friday. Dude.

As i sit here Saturday night in the KUBE Kave it is hard to even care about our silly little pool. The reason is simple and that is because the much heralded Northern Iowa Panthers beat the much vaunted number seed in the universe Kansas Jayhawks. No Dorothy, they are in Kansas forevermore (or at least till next season). Rock Choke Jay Hawk. Who would have thunk it but seriously, once again, what a great tournament, what a great country. The NCAA Tournament allows this country to come together in a way we desperately need. I do mourn for my KU fan friends and of course my sister in law but what a great game and how exciting that it can happen. It is possibly one of the signs of the apocalypse so lets all go to church tomorrow morning and hope for the best.

St. Maty's knocking off Villanova was kind of awesome too but in the context of KU/Northern Iowa it was just an appetizer. Tasty but not quite a full meal. But those corn fed kids from Iowa (Ali Farokhmanesh is a time honored Iowa name and family) and that shot that he hit was without a doubt the defining sports memory of 2010. He is noit going to shoot that shot, is he? He is going to pull up and kill some time, right? OH MY GOD he is shooting it...no.....no....NO......YES! Klassik! This could be the year when the big conferences get played out of it but we will see.

Lets look at the bottom of the KUBE standings, shall we? Simon, Red and Amy? Who are they? Do they walk upright? Did the whole family get together to do the brackets? Were they stoned? I want to know. John Winstroer II (El Duce) is right there with the family along with Dawn Hessel. On the other hand there are 141 people above these folks who picked Kansa and we happily be watching them....drop like rocks over the next round or two. Laurie Hyphenated-Name was in fifth but she also has Kansas and will be...leaving the top 5.

270 players. Nice effort.

Go Baylor!

No comments: